Thursday, July 23, 2009

Teddy Wants To Go For A Ride….

Picture 012

This is Teddy, my “rescue” dog from the pound last summer.

He loves living way out here in the country.  And if I get a 4 wheeler out, he loves to ride with me.  Lol… this is not the best picture of him…but he is a happy little guy.

Picture 023

We started out just going to the edge of the lake.  It has been so muddy here, it’s too wet to walk the trails.

Picture 025

Here you can see the dock thru the cat tails.  This is the only patch I have left.  They can take over, but I think they are pretty.

Picture 016

Teddy talks me into going up the trails.  The girls are at Grandma and Grandpa’s and hubby’s at work. so we can play….. you can see the lake below.

Picture 001

One of the first things I noticed it what I call “pokeweed”

Picture 002

I love it’s red stems, but it is not a good weed.

I checked online and found these funny tidbits…

 

  • The common name 'pokeweed' originates from the Native American word for 'blood', referring to the red dye that can be made from the fruit (however, the color is difficult to fix). Some of the other common names, such as 'inkberry' and 'inkweed', refer to this use.
  • Juice from pokeweed berries was once used to 'improve' the color of cheap red wine.
  • Supporters of President James Polk wore pokeweed twigs instead of campaign buttons during the 1845 campaign.
  • Medical researchers have isolated a protein (pokeweed antiviral protein or PAP) from pokeweed that is being used to try to inhibit the replication of the HIV virus in human cells.
  • Roots, leaves and berries of common pokeweed were used medicinally by Native Americans and early settlers to treat a variety of conditions from hemorrhoids to headaches.
  • The young shoots and leaves of pokeweed have been eaten as greens ('poke sallet'), boiled with the water changed several times prior to consumption. The taste is described as similar to that of asparagus or spinach. Berries have been used to make pie. However, ingestion of any part of common pokeweed cannot be recommended.
  • Picture 008

    This is more of the wild flower my daughter gave me last week.

    Picture 005

    There is quite a bit of it popping up.  Anyone know what it is?

    Picture 004

    This purple one was at eye level.

    Picture 014

    Now we are at the top of the big hill.  There is an 2 acre pond there, and lots of the deer sleep near it.  You can see the places they lay.  We have TWINS again this year, we have seen them 3 times now.  I love them, they never come near the house or my plants.  Too much green out here to bother me and the dogs.

    Picture 018

    This hummingbird vine was almost growing in the water.

    Picture 028

    So far it is a good year for the persimmon fruit.  The dear will eat them, but my husband loves them too…. so he watches them closely.  I know you can cook with them, but I haven’t yet.

    Picture 030

    We are headed back, but on the way I watched the butterflies.

    Picture 029

    This rose of sharon is pretty at the fire pit.  My friend dug this up for me right out of a fencerow at a cookout last summer.  It was a twig…. but it must be happy here.

    Picture 031

    The Carl Forester grass looks like fall.

    Picture 032

    But this one still is pretty and pink.  I love my grasses.

    Picture 004

    Where was Scooby this whole time?  Crashed on the couch of course!  The girls are not home to bother him….  looks like we need a bigger couch or a smaller dog!

    Picture 005

    I wish you all could just see how long his legs are…. but he is a good boy. :)

    We’ll I think that is about it.  Looks like there will be lots of friends at the lake this weekend, the weather has been so nice.

    July09

    Here is a new pic of me….  so you know who your talking to….lol.

    GreenBlog Brooke copy

    4 comments :

    1. That photo of your dog laying on the couch totally brought a smile to my face. Bigger couch!
      I like how you posted your photo are the end.,
      You are lovely!
      Rosey

      ReplyDelete
    2. How fun that your Teddy wants to go for rides with you! I love rescue dogs, they always seem to happy to love you:-D

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh, he is such a big baby ;-). And smart, why walk when you can ride. You are in such a lovely location. I like being out in the boonies but in the summer all the tourist flock in around us.I love the quiet evenings in the country or sticks.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!