Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The heat can’t keep us down…. or can it?

Picture 467

Hello Gardening Friends!

I haven’t posted in a few day. We all have summer colds and feel crummy. It is so hot and humid, you cannot do much outside anyway. But I did manage to snap a few pics to share…. The first is an “Outta The Blue” Rose.

Picture 469

The first blooms of white double hollyhocks, so pretty in person.

Picture 472

And the pinks are still blooming, great color this one.

Picture 476

My Goldflame Honeysuckle is blooming. It looked pretty stressed when I planted it, but it is bouncing back.

Picture 485

Bee-Balm and Shasta Daisy are putting on a show.

Picture 487

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Picture 490

First and probably only bloom for Henryii. It is new and still small, but so cute.

Picture 504

But these are darling…..Forget-Me-Nots from seed.

Picture 481

Purple larkspur is so pretty….

Picture 480

It is popping up everywhere with annual queen anne’s lace (a “tamed one” I found from seed) and Mister Lincoln roses. The leaves and stems are different, more delicate. I don’t know much about it, but it is pretty.

Picture 478

Rugosa Rose hips are starting to turn. These are so neat.

Picture 488

One of the many daylilies…. This peach color is really pretty.

Picture 511

Another one, love the sun shinning through the petals.

Picture 508

I also love texture, and this trio is very nice. Red Sedum, Lilyturf and Hosta along my front walk. I have them all along the border, but they are really filling in this year. Nice to have pretty without counting on blooms.

Picture 527

But you know I love color…. and these knockouts are full this week.

Well that is a bit of what is blooming this week. Thanks for stopping in!BlueBrooke

9 comments:

  1. Brooke...Your garden is beautiful; I love the hollyhocks and so wish I could get them to grow here...bad drainage and not enough sun! gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is hotter than blue blazes here too. I can hardly breath when I go outside.

    Your flowers are so pretty!

    I have white hollyhocks blooming too. The Japanese beetles love them and I found the first one on it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell it was hot cause your colors give off a cool and refreshing feel. I like the whites and blues or blue tones. Very pretty Brooke and hope you feel better soon. I've had the crud too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke,
    One of my very favorite combinations EVER is roses and Queen Anne's lace. Of course I've only seen it in real life in a fresh florist arrangement -way back on my 21st wedding anniversary LOL.

    YOU have it in YOUR garden. So very pretty.

    So many pretty blooms to ooooh and aahhhh over today.

    Funny for me to hear all the northerners talk about not gardening because it is too hot. I do hope you cool down so your gardens don't wilt away which is what so many of your flowers would do if they were in my garden. HA. our heat and humidity is here to stay.

    Which is why I depend on combinations like your Red Sedum, Lilyturf and Hosta. Very nicely done for texture and form as well as color that doesn't fade. Can't grow hostas but we find other leafy foliage to fill in. Your lilyturf looks a lot like my liriope... is lilyturf another name for it?

    Great post, Brooke. I sure hope the family is feeling better.
    Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, I had tons of buds on my hollyhocks and now, maybe two. The deer really did a number on them! I love the pink one with the sun streaming on it. 'Little Grapette' is on my To Get list. Love that deep color. Hope you're all feeling better!
    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Brooke, Your garden is so lovely. Beautiful combinations.

    Do you have your blog registered with Blotanical? It is a pretty good site. I guess you do and I'll check it out later.

    I like how you divided your Boston ferns. I too do that and also sometimes split hydrangeas. It is risky but usually works. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers. I have a lot of the same plants in my garden but, of course, they're later to bloom here in the Maritimes. And thank you for helping me to identify one of my mystery plants! I think I have Larkspur (we'll see when it blooms).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your double holly hocks Brooke!!

    Oh and those tomatoes are going to be sooooo yummy.... right off the vine!!!

    Happy Gardening to you too!

    Smiles,
    KayEllen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of lovely flowers but yes it is really hot hear in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!