Saturday, April 25, 2009

Whew! I'm Back!!



I'm back, life...job...holidays and kids has kept me super busy lately!

Here is some pics from yesterday. We are finally getting some warm weather. I have looked at other blogs and my garden is waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind most. Most things are just coming up for me.



Here is some shots of my "Butterfly Garden" It is on a hill just outside my garage that overlooks the lake. I have 6 different colors of butterfly bushes there and love them. They sway with ornamental grasses, boxwood's, a sugar maple, knock out roses, lavender, burning bushes, variegated vinca, daylilys, and several new floribunda roses (I will talk about them soon!).



Here is a new bench this year. I love it! It was on sale for $40.00 at Rural King. It has a daylily and butterfly on the back. I love a great deal...lol! Yes, we had the 4-wheelers out yesterday too.



Close up of hearty geraniums, daylily, sweet william getting ready to bloom, a "Welcome Home" rose bush and a new smoke bush. I love the purple leaves.


Here is a shot of the rose blooms from the web. Mine will be blooming in about 2 weeks. It is one of my prettiest yellow roses.





This shows all the lillys popping up. I bought 50 bulbs 2 years ago and have them all over. I love them. More roses, barberry, coral bells, ect.



This is in front of my home. The center is a "Tamora" David Austin rose, penstemon "Husker Red", "Plum Pudding" Heuchara, Daylilys, Hostas, ect. It is filling in nicely.



Just to the right of my front steps is this bed. The metal container is new there. I will fill it with annuals. There is a hydrangea behind it that will all but hide the birdhouse by late summer. Several things are popping up here. Lots of columbine and evening primrose.



This is a new hydrangea I purchased yesterday. It is pinky-winky and I am so excited to have one. It's the "hot" thing this year and I got mine for $18.00 at a tiny little greenhouse. That sounds like a bunch, but they are 30 and up elsewhere. This one is good sized too. :)



Here is one that is blooming from the web. Wow!!! Mine is right on the corner so you can see it from several directions. Lambs ear, peony, daylily, dianthus, hosta ect are around it.



Here is a pic of the right corner of my porch. This is one of my prettiest beds and we had to dig it out and fix the gutter downspout. It is all done now....but dang! Don't you hate that. I will move things if it does not fill back in one its own. You can also get a peek at my window boxes. I just put ferns in them this year. They are in full shade and I bought a $12.00 boston and chopped it in half! I did this last year too and it worked great. It looks great all year and it would have taken $40 in annuals to fill them the way they need to be filled. I think that's a deal!



Close up of my Bachelor buttons and bearded iris. I love irises! I just bought a new "Immortality" White Rebloomer. There is also astilbe and hostas here. A big Nikko blue too, that is pink for me.

Anyway, that is a few of the things going on at my house. We are planting 4 more trees today. They are good sized (about 8 feet tall) Silver Maples and Redbuds. The grass is looking better this year, but still slow to fill in. I am ready for the house and garden to not look so "new", but I know it takes time.

I have enjoyed looking at everyone's pics (what time I have had). Everyone have a great weekend.....

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke, You said your garden is behind everyone elses: so NOT true!! It is filling in beautifully and you have a nice variety of plants there. I like all of those big rocks you have all over! Your new bench is really pretty-you did get a good deal on it! I like your butterfly garden, your front gardens, and all the other ones. Yes, I hate it when you have to dig up your garden for something like that: We had to dig out my whole front corner garden a few years ago to have a plumbing co. dig 17 feet down to clear a blockage in our pipes! It turned out to be a plumbers snake...from another plumber!! What a mess that was...dirt piled sky high on my grass for weeks while they did the project, etc. I tried to re-locate the perennials in there, and some survived but it just never has looked the same since. I gave up on it for a few years and am just now adding more to it. Great post...welcome back...you aren't behind, because I've been very slow to blog and respond to comments, etc...Happy Spring;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooke, you were missed! Your garden looks great with everything greening up and I'm looking forward to seeing your roses in bloom and what colors your daylilies are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so nice in your garden. The four-wheeler is growing like crazy! Just kidding :-D All my pics have something useful in them too!
    Glad you are back. I couldn't read a single word of this post as the letters did not show up for me on the background but I loved the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!