I am happy to announce I will be hosting a two week event here at Creative Country Mom's! I will have over 30 holiday decorated blogger home tours and a two week Christmas themed link party!
Christmas in the Country Link Party and Home Tour 2014 at Creative Country Mom.com
Add the button to your posts and link them to www.creativecountrymom.com!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Favorite Flowers....Hollyhocks




I saw about a billion kinds of flowers in Florida, but I gotta tell ya, the ones I "ooo'd and awe'd" we're the hollyhocks at Epcot. I love old fashioned flowers, and the longer I work on my beds the more daring I get with heights. I think the large spikes are so pretty. My house sets up fairly high and this year I am hoping to be able to look out and see flowers higher than my windows. And one of the main ones I want more of is hollyhocks.



Last year I bought a bag of bare-root hh's and only three of the six came up and they never bloomed. But this year they popped up and have several leafs already. I have no idea what kind or color they even are, I have long since lost the info.



But in about 6 weeks or so we will have our spring flowers sale at the county garden club and I am hoping there will be some hh's brought in. I look so forward to it every year....it is like a yard sale, but plants! Heaven!!

Hollyhock - new flower style

There are several new varieties of them out now, this is one I had never seen, but if you know the name... let me know.



This is Zebrina, the one hollyhock I have a ton of, and love it. It does not require any staking and reseeds HEAVILY, but I don't mind. It is a pretty striped purple and good foilage. Plus it moves easily and is a good pass along plant.



Anyway, I thought you might like to think about adding a few hollyhocks to your garden this year too.



You can usually find them fairly cheap and I have seen seed online. I will go another round this week to my garden center, then I may order it. It will be next year till it would bloom, but I can wait...lol. This last picture is my favorite... I'd take it all...just as it is... I have just the spot!!!! Lol...



Happy gardening! ~Brooke

Popular Posts